“Attikes Diadromes S.A.”: Operation & Maintenance Company
“Attikes Diadromes S.A.” was founded in 1999 and has undertaken the operation and maintenance of Attica Tollway. The main goal of the company is the continuous, uninterrupted and smooth operation of the motorway (24 hours a day, 365 days per year), and the provision of high quality services to its users. The daily activities of “Attikes Diadromes S.A.” include the following:
- Traffic management;
- Detection, intervention and handling of incidents and accidents;
- Road maintenance (preventive and corrective);
- Toll collection;
- Planning the toll policy and managing the miscellaneous subscription-commercial programmes;
- The provision of added-value services to all our stakeholders through the operation of Attica Tollway (such as the information and training on road safety issues).
Traffic and Maintenance Department
Responsible for the traffic management and the maintenance of the motorway is the Traffic and Maintenance Department of Attica Tollway. The main duties of the Department include:
- The traffic monitoring;
- The management of incidents, accidents and planned activities;
- The inspection, maintenance and repairs, as required to maintain the motorway in good condition;
- The maintenance of the vehicles and installation;
- The routine works, such as the cleaning of the motorway.
Traffic Management Centre (T.M.C)
The main control centre of the motorway is the Traffic Management Centre (T.M.C.), which is located in Peania and operates on a 24-hour basis.
Through the constant presence of specialised personnel and the use of high-tech equipment, the T.M.C. continuously monitors the traffic conditions along the motorway, is directly informed of the occurrence of any incidents and proceeds in alerting the competent departments, so that they can respond accordingly.
The Traffic Management Centre (T.M.C.) is immediately informed for the traffic conditions through:
- The patrol vehicles, operating along the entire length of the Tollway, on a 24-hour basis, so that the Patrol Employees can detect any incidents that may have occurred and promptly intervene by providing assistance free of charge;
- The designated four-digit telephone number 1024*, which users may dial from their mobile phones;
- The Emergency Roadside Telephones, located every 50 m inside the tunnels and every 2 km along the length of the open motorway;
- The Closed Circuit TV (CCTV), with cameras that monitor the traffic for accidents and congestion;
- Inductive loops placed under the road surface and measure the traffic load and the average speed of the vehicles.
The Department of Attica Media Information is also located at the Traffic Management Centre of Attica Tollway. Every day, during business hours, the Media Information Officer communicates directly with television and radio stations in Attica, in order to provide vital traffic information about Attica Tollway. Furthermore, the Attica Road twitter account (@aodostraffic) operates from the Traffic Management Centre, with continuous tweets of the prevailing traffic conditions.
In Attica Tollway, maintenance works form an
integral part of the daily activities on the motorway
and are divided into two main categories:
- Preventive maintenance with regular inspections and continuous works, and
- Corrective maintenance with ad hoc inspections and reconstructions.
Traffic management is the main focus of the people of the operation and maintenance company, “Attikes Diadromes S.A.”. The company’s tasks include the following:
- Continuous monitoring of the network and incident detection through the incident detection equipment and the relevant personnel, on a 24-hour basis;
- Mobilization and notification of the competent authorities and provision of assistance to such authorities in response to an incident;
- Preliminary protection measures at the location of the incident;
- Resolving, by own means, simple daily events before they evolve into traffic problems;
- Availability of human and material resources, as well as specialized technical support for special types of incidents (machinery, snow-ploughing vehicles, cranes etc.);
- Central coordination and provision of information to all parties involved through the Traffic Management Centre (T.M.C.), which constitutes the core that collects and provides information.
The Traffic Management System (T.M.S.) is the technological interface for the T.M.C. personnel and offers, together with the rest of the equipment deployed on the motorway, continuous information to the personnel at “Attikes Diadromes S.A.”, regarding traffic conditions along the length of the motorway.
- 232 Closed Circuit TV cameras (CCTV);
- 15 Mainline Variable Message Signs, located along the length of Attica Tollway (MVMS);
- 57 Access point Variable Message Signs, at the entrance points to Attica Tollway (AVMS);
- 71 Variable Message Signs located at toll stations (Toll VMS);
- 30 Single Line Variable Message Signs, located along the length of Attica Tollway (SLVMS);
- 586 induction loop arrays (every 500m in the open motorway sections and every 60m inside tunnels), registering traffic volume and speed (Vehicle Detection System – VDS);
- 560 Lane Control Signs (LCS);
- 359 Variable Speed Limit Signs (VSLS);
- 44 Over Height Vehicle Detectors, located at the entrance points (OHVD);
- 3 meteorological stations, measuring parameters such as temperature, wind, humidity, air pressure;
- Environmental Stations transmitting real-time measurements, through the SCADA system (8 fixed locations for air pollution, 8 fixed locations for noise pollution, mobile noise measurement units executing 130 measurements on an annual basis, at predetermined locations);
- 1024* Emergency Telephone number;
- TETRA communication systems.
The T.M.C.’s equipment includes:
- 1 video wall, consisting of 8 “natural cubes” of 70’; In daily operation, 2 cubes function as central, while the rest are divided, resulting in the creation of 24monitors of 35’;
- 8 workstations with access to Traffic Management software and control / management of field equipment (variable message boards, cameras, tunnel equipment, lights, etc.), incident and accident recording and real-time monitoring of the patrol vehicles.
Fleet of vehicles
The company’s vehicle fleet includes vans appropriately equipped for intervention purposes in the event of incidents and for the execution of routine maintenance works, mini vans for the maintenance of the electromechanical equipment, cranes, pick-up vehicles, passenger vehicles and motorcycles. “Attikes Diadromes S.A.” provides free of charge road assistance to the Attica Tollway users, through partnership with roadside assistance companies, the services of which are available on a 24-hour basis.
Furthermore, the company has UNIMOG machines of multiple functions, which once fitted with the appropriate equipment (blade, salt spreader), can also operate as snow-ploughing machines, washing vehicles, sweepers (brushes), elevators and loaders. All the company’s trucks can be converted to snowmobiles by adding a blade and a salt spreader.
Number of Employees
Today, approximately 1,228 employees in the following specialties are involved in the operation, maintenance and management of the motorway:
- Engineers, Traffic Engineers and other professionals, directing and supporting the general managerial tasks of the company;
- Traffic management personnel;
- Toll and customer service personnel.
On-going personnel training
On an annual basis, the personnel of the patrol and intervention teams receive training in the following matters:
- First aid for incidents on Attica Tollway, for injuries, etc.
- Provision of assistance to the Fire Service and use of fire prevention equipment
- Tunnel safety
- Basic Traffic Techniques
- Safety at work
- Eco-friendly and safe driving of patrol vehicles, as well as driving in special conditions (night, rain)
- Operating the company’s machinery, by category, from professional machine operators
It is worth noting that, especially with regard to the critical issue of safety within the tunnels, the staff of “Attikes Diadromes S.A.” has attended seminars in training centers, using real-time event simulators. Thus, “Attikes Diadromes S.A.” personnel are trained in tunnel emergencies in order to be able to assist the State authorities, if needed.
*In accordance with the decision of the Hellenic Telecommunications and Post Commission (EETT) with No. 966/2 – Government Gazette 5266/Β/30-11-2020, we would like to inform you that calls to 1024 are subject to the Tariff Policy applied by each mobile and fixed telecommunications network operator. For further information, please visit the website of your network operator as well as the website of the Price Observatory for Telecommunication and Postal Retail Services of EETT.