Educational Programmes for children and adolescents
During 2021, “Attiki Odos S.A.” and “Attikes Diadromes S.A.” supported the implementation of five (5) educational programmes which convey the message of Road Safety to children and adolescents:
- The e-Learning programme “Eyes open on the road” for students of middle and high school, has received the approval of the Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs and the Institute of Educational Policy. This is the evolution of the interactive seminar under the same name, created in order to meet the challenges of the digital age, with the aim of raising awareness around the important issue of road safety, in a modern and effective way, among students and teachers throughout Greece, and especially those in the most remote islands and villages. In 2021, more than 4,200 students gained access to the online programme of Attica Tollway, while today it continues to take place at a steady pace.
- The interactive exhibit entitled “I Drive and Walk Safely”, which can be visited on the ground floor of the Children’s Museum of Athens, was designed by an interdisciplinary working group with the participation of educators and museologists from the Hellenic Children’s Museum and transport specialists from “Attiki Odos S.A.” and “Attikes Diadromes S.A.” and was implemented after a six-month study aimed at promoting traffic education in children 3 to 12 years old. In this space, through play, creation, collaboration and active participation, children interact with each other, but also with the Museum performers and the adults who play with them, discover how to move on the street, the crossings and traffic lights and recognise the signs they come across on the street. In 2021 the Children’s Museum of Athens remained closed until June 4 due to the COVID-19 pandemic and opened to the public on June 5 with limited opening hours and participation in specific time zones. This year, 1,453 children and 1,032 adults visited the “I Drive and Walk Safely” exhibit while today visits to the Museum continue normally, with restrictions due to a pandemic.
- The experiential educational play “Attikoulis” was presented for the first time in 2006, while in 2020 its 6th scenario renewal was completed. It is a two-hour play that aims to bring the children of nursery and primary schools in contact with the basic principles of road safety, in a creative and interactive way. By the end of 2019, 62,000 children had attended the play, but in 2021, as in 2020, the renewed show, entitled “Attikoulis in the kingdom of Clumsiness”, was not presented in schools and municipalities, due to the exceptional circumstances created by the COVID-19 pandemic. At present the educational play continues with the observance of all the necessary measures.
- The music and dance performance “The Asphalt Troubadours” featuring the Burger Project band, constitutes a new initiative of Attica Tollway addressed to nursery and primary school children. In the context of the show, children become familiar with the basic rules of the Traffic Code, the correct conduct of pedestrians, cyclists and skaters, while learning about the importance of the safety belt, the helmet and the appropriate driving equipment. In 2021 the creation of the new educational play was completed, however it was not presented in schools and municipalities, due to the emergency conditions created by the COVID-19 pandemic. At present the educational performance takes place in school halls with the observance of all the necessary measures.
- The educational programme “In traffic with safety”, which is implemented for over a decade in schools and other spaces by specially trained animators, in collaboration with the Road Safety Institute “Panos Mylonas”, is approved by the Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs and the Institute of Educational Policy. In 2021 the educational programme continued to be implemented in nursery schools, primary schools and children’s camps, with restrictions, due to the emergency conditions created by the COVID-19 pandemic and more than 2,000 children participated. In total, over the years, more than 76,400 children have attended it, with the support of Attica Tollway. At present the educational programme continues with the observance of all the necessary measures.
Actions to raise awareness and educate the society as well as individual groups vulnerable on the streets
- In 2021, Attica Tollway created four (4) videos starring Thanassis Chountras, driving instructor, which have been posted on Attica Tollway YouTube channel, conveying in a different way tips for safe driving. The videos are about important issues the driver has to deal with, and in particular, the distraction, the consequences of fatigue while driving, as well as advice to cyclists on the appropriate equipment and their protection in case of rain.
- In 2021, Attica Tollway supported for the second time the effort of EKAB (National Emergency Aid Centre) motorcycle response unit, covering their training needs in safe driving through a specialised program under the guidance of specialist Thanassis Chountras. More precisely, in October, twenty (20) motorcyclists – rescuers continued their training, while two (2) more people who recently joined the corps also completed their training.
- In 2021, Attica Tollway carried out an extensive advertising campaign through banners on news websites with the aim of further promoting the educational programmes it implements on Road Safety culture to children and adolescents.
Donations and offers to NGOs and other organisations
“Attiki Odos S.A.” and “Attikes Diadromes S.A.” always stand on the side of local communities. Among other things, they favor instead of corporate gifts during the Christmas period, the support of NGOs and other organisations that offer work of value to society. At the same time, the companies respond to the extraordinary requests and needs of the society, with emphasis on the support of organisations/bodies that are active in areas that are affected by the motorway.
In this context, in 2021 the companies made donations to NGOs and other organisations, totalling over € 42,000.
Also, in 2021, the donation of € 17,500 to “Attikon” University General Hospital for the supply of additional hospital equipment to combat the spread of coronavirus COVID-19 which was decided last year, was completed.
Sponsorships to support events
Constantly present at important events, “Attiki Odos S.A.” and “Attikes Diadromes S.A.” supported the organisation of events with sponsorships totalling over € 28,000.
Collaborations with various bodies
- Updates via Variable Message Signs (VMS), in collaboration with the association “The Smile of the Child”. The programme is implemented under the Amber Alert National Emergency Response
- As part of the continuous improvement of the services provided, the operation and maintenance company, “Attikes Diadromes S.A.”, is a member of the Hellenic Institute of Customer Service, the reputable organisation that promotes customer service in our country.
- Collaborations with agencies promoting road safety in our country and Some of them include the Special Committee of Road Safety of the Hellenic Parliament, the Hellenic Federation of Transportation Engineers, the Road Safety Institute Panos Mylonas (RSI) and many more.
- Participation of company executives as members of committees in national and international bodies defining the international standards of transport and motorway operation, such as HELLASTRON (HELLenic ASsociation of Toll ROad Network), the European Association of Operators of Toll Road infrastructures (Association Européenne des Concessionnaires d’ Autoroutes et d’ Ouvrages à Péage – ASECAP), the US Transportation Research Board of the National Academies (TRB), the International Road Federation (IRF) and the International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association (IBTTA).
- Partnerships and support of Universities and, generally, educational organisations.