Road Safety Awareness programmes and actions
All these years, “Attiki Odos S.A.” and “Attikes Diadromes S.A.” choose to address tomorrow’s generation of drivers and have managed to convey the message of road safety to more than 160,000 children and teenagers.
In 2022, with the support of the companies, five (5) road safety and traffic education programmes designed with the assistance of qualified professionals were still ongoing. In addition, during the year, the collaboration between Attica Tollway and the Hellenic Children Museum was extended, this time with the creation of a Digital Portfolio for primary school teachers. In particular:
- The e-Learning programme “Eyes Open on the Road” for students of middle and high school, has received the approval of the Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs and the Institute of Educational Policy for the academic year 2021-2022. This is the evolution of the interactive seminar under the same name, and was created by “Attiki Odos S.A.” and “Attikes Diadromes S.A.” in order to meet the challenges of the digital era, approaching and raising awareness about the important issue of road safety among students and teachers throughout Greece, and especially those in the most remote islands and villages. In 2022, more than 2,800 students from 30 schools gained access to the online programme of Attica Tollway.
- The interactive exhibit entitled “I Drive and Walk Safely”, which can be visited on the ground floor of Athens Conservatoire, was designed by an interdisciplinary working group with the participation of educators and museologists from the Hellenic Children Museum and traffic engineers from “Attiki Odos S.A.” and “Attikes Diadromes S.A.” and was implemented after a six-month study aimed at promoting traffic education in children aged 3 to 12 years. In this space, through play, creation, collaboration and active participation, children interact with each other, but also with the Museum performers and the adults who play with them, discover how to move on the street, the crossings and traffic lights and to recognise the signs they come across on the street. In 2022, the Children Museum of Athens welcomed the public in specific time zones, with 2,852 children and 2,743 adult visitors.
- The Digital Activity Portfolio for Traffic Education was designed in 2022 with the support of the two companies and the seal of the Hellenic Children Museum, aiming to become an important tool for every primary school teacher. It includes, among other things, suggestions about activities for primary school students, inspired by the “I drive and walk safely” exhibit at the Children Museum of Athens. Teachers can integrate the activities either in the interdisciplinary curriculum and timetable of their classroom, or in the context of thematic axes/workshops for the development/cultivation of skills. In 2022 the Digital Portfolio was sent, by electronic means, to 218 teachers from 139 schools that expressed interest. The experiential educational play “Attikoulis” was presented for the first time in 2006, and has now reached its 6th scenario renewal entitled “Attikoulis in the Kingdom of Clumsiness”. It is a two-hour theatrical game that aims to introduce children of nursery and primary schools to the basic principles of road safety, with creativity and imagination. Over 1,600 children and adults had the opportunity to travel with Attikoulis’ new adventures in 2022, with the total impact of the show over the years amounting to approximately 63,000 children.
- The musical theatre performance “The Asphalt Troubadours” featuring the Burger Project band, is a new initiative of the companies “Attiki Odos S.A.” and “Attikes Diadromes S.A.” addressed to nursery and primary school children. In the context of the performance, children become familiar with the basic rules of the Highway Code, the correct conduct of pedestrians, cyclists and skaters, while learning about the importance of the safety belt, the helmet and the appropriate equipment. In 2022, which was actually the year the action was launched, more than 4,600 children from 27 schools danced and sang along with the popular band to the rhythms of traffic education.
- The educational programme “In traffic with safety”, which is implemented for over a decade in schools and other venues by specially trained animators, in cooperation with the Road Safety Institute “Panos Mylonas”, is approved by the Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs and the Institute of Educational Policy. In 2022, this experiential traffic education programme was implemented in 75 kindergartens and primary schools and about 3,900 children participated in it. In total, more than 80,000 children have attended the programme over the years, with the support of the two companies.
Actions to raise awareness in the society
“Attiki Odos S.A.” and “Attikes Diadromes S.A.” regularly conduct information campaigns on road safety, addressed not only to the general public but also to vulnerable road users (cyclists, pedestrians, etc.).
More specifically, in 2022 the two companies undertook the following actions:
- They created three (3) more informative videos that have been posted on Attica Tollway’s YouTube channel, in which, safe driving instructor Thanassis Choundras interacts with the protagonists and shares useful tips. Their topics touch on major aspects of everyday life, always aiming to raise awareness in society about: bicycle driving, baby in the car, dog in the car.
- They once again stood by the great effort of the rapid response motorcyclists’ team of the National Emergency Aid Centre (EKAV), meeting their training needs in safe driving through a specialized programme under the guidance of the expert Thanassis Choundras. Specifically, 30 riders – rescuers of the National Emergency Aid Centre (EKAV) participated in a specialized programme of theoretical and practical training.
- They carried out an extensive advertising campaign using banners on news websites in order to further promote and advertise Attica Tollway’s training programmes to promote road safety culture.
Donations & offers to NGOs and other organisations
“Attiki Odos S.A.” and “Attikes Diadromes S.A.” always stand by local communities, focusing on supporting organisations operating in areas affected by the motorway.
Among other things, they support NGOs and other organisations that offer multifaceted social work, making donations totalling more than € 35,000 in 2022.
Sponsorships to support bodies & educational institutions
Constantly present in events and happenings that promote the developments of the sector, “Attiki Odos S.A.” and “Attikes Diadromes S.A.” supported events with sponsorships totalling € 6,500.
Collaborations with various bodies
- Updates via the Variable Message Signs (VMS), in collaboration with the association “The Smile of the Child”. The programme is implemented under the Amber Alert National Emergency Response Plan.
- As part of the continuous improvement of the services rendered, the operation and maintenance company, “Attikes Diadromes S.A.”, is a member of the Hellenic Institute of Customer Service.
- Collaboration with most agencies promoting road safety in Greece and abroad. Some of them are the following: the Special Committee of Road Safety of the Hellenic Parliament, the Hellenic Federation of Transportation Engineers, the Road Safety Institute “Panos Mylonas” (RSI), etc.
- Participation of company executives as members of committees in national and international bodies setting international standards of transport and motorway operation, such as HELLASTRON (HELLenic ASsociation of Toll ROad Network), the European Association of Operators of Toll Road infrastructures (Association Européenne des Concessionnaires d’ Autoroutes et d’ Ouvrages à Péage – ASECAP), the US Transportation Research Board of the National Academies (TRB), the International Road Federation (IRF) and the International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association (IBTTA).
- Partnerships and support of Universities and, generally, educational organisations.