General and technical characteristics of the project
- Total length 70 km
- Service / side road network 150 km
- Interchanges 29
- Motorway Overpasses 100
- Motorway Underpasses 25
- Rail bridges 38
- River/Stream bridges 21
- Pedestrian Overpasses 12
- Tunnel/Cut & Cover Sections 56
- Total length of Tunnel/Cut & Cover Sections 15,36 km
- Flood protection works 66,70 km
- Motorist Service Stations (M.S.S.) 4
- Operation & Maintenance Centre 1
- Subscribers’ Service Points 13
- Toll Stations 39
- Total number of toll lanes 195
- Electronic Toll Collection (E.T.C.) lanes 94
- Manual Toll Collection (M.T.C.) lanes 156
Innovations in construction and operation
Innovations in Construction
Modern innovative methods have been used in the construction of Attica Tollway:
- Open-cast mining excavationsSpecial vibration recording instruments (vibration recorders) were installed and special methods, where applicable, were used to restrict peak particle velocity to below 6 mm/sec (P.P.V) in residential districts.
- Tunnel constructionIn addition to the ΝΑΤΜ (Drill & Blast) method, the tunnel construction method using Roadheader machinery was also applied to reduce vibrations (the peak particle velocity was limited to 0.7 mm/sec) and to avoid using explosives in areas of historical interest (monuments, churches etc.)
- Bridge constructionIn addition to the usual methods of on-site concreting of conventional or pre-tensioned girders, the Incremental Launching System has also been used for constructing the superstructure of bridges.
- Flood ProtectionAttica Tollway passes through the three large hydrographic basins of Attica (Thriasio Pedio, Athens basin and Mesogeia) and interrupts the surface runoff coming from the Parnitha, Penteli and Imittos mountains to the sea. The morphology of the aforementioned areas, now featuring minimum natural receptors, the exponential expansion of the land use and the various types of human interventions have rendered the construction of substantial extensive flood protection works within the scope of the Attica Tollway implementation imperative. The flood protection works constructed have been dimensioned so that they are adequate not only for the existing land use (pastureland in the Thriasio Pedio and agricultural cultivation in the Mesogeia area) but also for the reasonably expected changes in the land use, which exponentially aggravate drainage conditions and are the most serious cause of the flooding problem within the Attica region.
- Rainwater / Sewage DisposalSpecial equipment has been used for the underground routing of rain water / sewage disposal pipes using the Ρipe-jacking method. Drain pipe impermeability has been controlled using the soil mechanics air pressure balloon method.
- Road PavementFor the first time, road pavement has been constructed using the latest construction methods and mechanical equipment, reliable materials and specialized laboratory measurements and tests to ensure durability over time.
Administration and management mechanisms, supported by the design and development of new organizational structures and processes, as well as innovative management tools, making wide use of new software programmes, have been developed for managing Attica Tollway. The following systems are used to ensure the best possible operation and maintenance of the motorway:
- High technology systems for monitoring the smooth flow of vehicles and identifying possible incidents, always with a focus on user safety.
- Electronic toll collection system, as well as subscription programmes, for best customer service.
- Installation of noise and air pollutant level measurement stations, with special emphasis on monitoring exhaust fumes inside tunnels.
- Special noise barriers made from various materials with high quality and aesthetic design (e.g. glass, metal, polycarbonate, bois beton etc.) to reduce noise pollution.
- Application of anti-graffiti coating on the exposed concrete surfaces.